RHEINGAU / Rüdesheim / Assmannshausen
It takes just one hour by train to get into the RHEINGAU Region, where some of the best white wines of Germany and probably of the world grow. Our trip takes you to famous Rüdesheim, to more laidback wine village Assmannshausen, leads you through vineyards and oak forrests up to the “Germania” monument, allowing numerous incedible views over the Rhine river, mediaval settlements and castles.
We recommend to use a group day ticket (34,50) for up to 5 Persons.
Trains go every hour at XX:53 from Frankfurt main station to Assmannshausen, takes 1:16 hours.
(RB10, Track 23, direction Neuwied)
easiest option is to do a round trip with boat, cablecar + walking for 15 Euros.
Everything by foot is also possible. (some 10km)
STEP BY STEP:
– Start at Assmannshausen Train Station, walk uphill to the cablecar Station
– take the Cable Car uphill. They sell single tickets as well as the round ticket.
– follow this map + walk through the woods + discover some hidden artefacts
– Niederwalddenkmal erected after the unification of Germany in 1871, great view
– Cable car (or walk) downhill to Rüdesheim through the vinehills
– Siegfrieds Musikalisches Kabinett (dont’t miss. it’s amazing. Mechanical Music machines playing pianos, violins, a whole orchester in a wooden box)
– Drosselgasse with the chimes at “Rüdesheimer Schloss”. The famous vine bar street.
– back to Assmannshausen by boat, at peer 8, passing “Mäuseturm” + castle ruin “Ehrenfels”. Check the signs at the vine hills that name the “Lage”, later you will find that specific origins on the bottle.
– In Assmannshausen: end the day with some great food + wine at Hotel Krone (Hotel + vinery) looking at the ships passing by on the Rhine. The Wine is great and they have an offer where you can taste a variaty of their wines, we did + bought some boxes for home.
We suggest to end up in Assmannshausen instead of Rüdesheim, because it is less touristy and you get better value, but that’s up to you. You can as well do the tour the other way round, and also do everything by foot.
If you discover another good vinery / restaurant please tell us, we are happy to recommend them!